Meet the Visionaries at Eye Institute. Introducing you to Dr Adam Watson, Laser Vision Correction, Cataract, Cornea & Oculoplastic surgeon. Dr Watson tells us his best life advice, what’s on his bucket list and who he would invite to his ultimate dinner party! Read the full Q&A below:
1. What is the best life advice you have ever received?
Do everything to the best of your ability, no matter what it is. And never eat under-cooked chicken.
2. When did you decide to become an ophthalmologist and why?
I studied medicine to become a psychiatrist but found psychiatry didn't suit my personality. But I did discover a talent for microsurgery. Eye medicine and surgery is endlessly fascinating, stimulating and rewarding.
3. What are some of your top career highlights so far?
- Specialist fellowship training in the UK was a great opportunity to really hone my skills and knowledge, as well as making lifelong friends and meeting my wife!
- And every time I can take part in transforming someone's life by restoring vision is a highlight!
4. Can you tell us what might be on your bucket list?
- I'd love to go back to university as a crusty old student to study philosophy.
- Watching my children grow up and establish their own lives, careers and families.
- Learning to play the piano.
- And enjoying travel to different parts of the world with my family.
5. If you could invite anyone to your dinner party (alive or passed on) who would you invite?
Richard Branson (Virgin Group entrepreneur), Umberto Eco (novelist, linguist, philosopher), Audrey Hepburn (actor, UNICEF ambassador), Archibald McIndoe (pioneering plastic surgeon), Miley Cyrus (musician) and maybe Queen Elizabeth II (monarch) if she could have a few gins and talk off the record.
Random Fact about Dr Watson: I've been on a gluten free diet for about 28 years which used to be a bit more difficult but easier now that it's become fashionable. My wife, fortunately, has a great talent for gluten free baking :)
- - -