Dr Trevor Gray
Specialist Eye Surgeon
MBChB (UCT), FRANZCO
About Dr Trevor Gray
Dr Trevor Gray is a Refractive-Cataract Surgery and Corneal Surgery (pterygium & corneal transplant) Specialist. He has significant experience in Cataract Surgery, and is very highly trained.
Happy word-of-mouth recommendations and direct referrals from eye care professionals are the foundation of Dr Trevor Gray's busy Cataract and Corneal Surgery practice. Patients, Optometrist and GP referrers trust Dr Gray’s solid reputation for leading edge microsurgery, his passion for excellence and ability to communicate well.
Dr Gray is an approved provider for cataract and corneal surgery with all health insurance companies in NZ. If you have insurance, we help make the prior approval process very easy for you.
Overview of Dr Gray's Achievements (click to expand)
- Refractive-Cataract Surgery
- Corneal Surgery
- Implantable Contact Lenses (ICL)
- iLASIK laser eye surgery
- USA Fellowship trained in Laser & Corneal Surgery
- UK Fellowship trained in Laser & Corneal Surgery
- iLASIK certified surgeon
- Vision Correction Specialist & Director – Eye Institute
- Clinical Senior Lecturer in Ophthalmology – University of Auckland
- Visiting Consultant Ophthalmologist – Auckland City Hospital
Associations & memberships:
- Past President – Cornea and Contact Lens Society of NZ
- Member – International Society of Refractive Surgeons
- Member – American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- Fellow – Royal Australian and NZ College of Ophthalmologists
- Inaugural Member - Australasian Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- Inaugural Member – International Ocular Surface Society
- Previous International Council Rep. for NZ – International Society of Refractive Surgeons
Dr Gray's training & experience
Dr Gray is a highly trained and very experienced Cataract Surgery & Vision Correction Specialist. Dr Gray has received unique dual Cataract & Cornea Fellowship training at both Moorfields Eye Hospital London and Bascom Palmer Eye Institute Miami, making him one of the highest trained eye surgeons in New Zealand.
Dr Gray is Clinical Senior Lecturer in Ophthalmology (University of Auckland) where he lectures on Refractive-Cataract Surgery and other aspects of modern eye surgery. He has been a Consultant Ophthalmologist at Auckland Hospital Eye Department since 1997 where he trains junior Ophthalmologists and other eye care professionals every week.
Dr Gray has completed accredited training to use the most advanced technologies to help his patients achieve their best vision, often with minimal need for glasses after successful surgery. For those who are techno-hungry, here are some details of the amazing technology that make this surgery what many refer to as “a modern miracle”:
The Technology: (click to expand)
- Astigmatism correcting intra-ocular lenses (“Toric IOLs”): AcrySof Toric IOL, Rayner Toric IOL, STAAR Toric IOL
- Multifocal intra-ocular lenses: ReSTOR IOL, Tecnis Multifocal IOL, ReZOOM IOL. These Multifocal IOLs enable most patients to read and drive without glasses, although they are not suitable for all patients
- Advanced eye measurements (biometry) to maximize the accuracy of the intra-ocular lens selection using “Immersion Ultrasound”, the “IOL Master” and corneal topography provide amazing accuracy of each patient’s own eye measurements
- Advanced IOL power calculation software: “Holladay IOL Consultant”, Haigis, Holladay-2, Hoffer-Q, SRK-T
- Previous laser vision correction (LASIK or PRK). Patients who have cataracts and had previous refractive surgery require very careful calculations and special techniques that take their past laser surgery into account. Eye Institute offers the most up-to-date instruments and techniques available in New Zealand.
Dr Gray's specialisms
- Refractive-Cataract Surgery
Patients like the ease of Dr Gray’s Refractive-Cataract Surgery procedure and the rapid return of vision, thanks to special techniques that Dr Gray routinely uses:
- No needle anaesthesia (safe for patients on aspirin and warfarin)
- No pain (numbing anaesthetic gel)
- No sutures (“key-hole” small incision surgery)
- No eye patch (useful vision through a clear protective shield returns in minutes)
- No worries - sedation provided by a specialist anaesthetist, if you desire
- Implantable Contact Lenses
Implantable Contact Lenses (ICLs) are a procedure that offers better quality of vision and lower risk than Custom LASIK for patients who have thinner than normal corneas and high degree of near-sightedness. Dr Gray is an expert when it comes to ICLs - he is the only Dr at Eye Institute to perform this procedure. Click here for more information on ICLs.
- LASIK, PRK & Refractive Lens Exchange
Aside from being an experienced LASIK eye doctor, Dr Gray is also an expert in PRK, refractive lens exchange, and many others. You’ll always receive personalised vision care from Dr Gray, and if you're not a good candidate for a particular procedure, he'll suggest an appropriate alternative for you. See his Laser Bio for more info.
Dr Gray's Team
Dr Gray's team consists of (left to right): (standing) Sue Ripassa, Miemmie Prins, Rhonda Selgar, Robin Birch, Nick Mathew, Annie Kerr, Kyomi Kishimoto (and seated) Ally Kerr, Dr Gray and Frances Read.
Dr Gray’s family & personal interests
Dr Gray is married to Caroline, a Breast Physician and magical juggler of kids, dog, home, profession and obsessive compulsive husband. He has two “cool kids” (now young adults) who love guitar, Kiwi music, surfing and skiing. Trevor tries to keep up with the kids surfing, skiing, sea kayaking and golfing… but is slowly losing ground to the younger generation!
Make an appointment with Dr Trevor Gray
Please fill in the form below to enquire or book your appointment with Dr Trevor Gray. Appointments available are:
- Monday to Friday – 8.00am to 5.00pm
- Saturday mornings – for new assessments
- Wednesday evenings