Dr Nick Mantell
Laser Vision Correction & Refractive Cataract Specialist
About Dr Nick Mantell
Dr Nick Mantell is a highly regarded ophthalmic surgeon specialising in LASIK eye treatment and Cataract removal. Nick has restored vision to many patients in his 17 year long career and is hugely passionate about restoring sight and giving his patients the best vision possible. He knows that being able to see clearly affects your freedom, happiness, sense of wellbeing, and also in many respects your safety. That's why Nick finds nothing more satisfying than seeing a patient who has always suffered from poor vision, open their eyes for the first time after iLASIK and marvel. He says "I love my job; every day I help people achieve the eye sight and clarity they had forgotten existed".
Dr Mantell and his team strive to provide the highest quality care to patients, and offer every patient his personal guarantee: a promise to deliver the most advanced technology, quality care and excellent results - every time. Dr Mantell has established a close-knit team of staff who are knowledgeable, caring and ensure his patients receive outstanding pre- and post-operative care, communication and follow up. His ophthalmic technicians assist him in the clinic performing all ophthalmologic tests necessary for the preliminary and specific eye assessment and are at his side assisting in surgery. See his patient care mission statement here.
Nick and his team are highly skilled, professional, and are committed to providing the latest technology and techniques in vision correction through continued education both within New Zealand and internationally.
Overview of Dr Mantell’s Achievements (click to expand)
- iLASIK laser eye surgery
- Diploma in Refractive Surgery – Sydney University
- iLASIK certified surgeon
- Vision Correction Specialist & Director – Eye Institute
- Clinical Senior Lecturer in Ophthalmology – University of Auckland
Associations & memberships:
- Member – American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons (ASCRS)
- Member – Australasian Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons (AUSCRS)
- Member – American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Member – New Zealand Medical Council
- Fellow – Royal Australian and NZ College of Ophthalmologists
- Fellow – (Vitreoretinal Surgical) Royal Manchester Eye Hospital, UK
- Fellow – (Vitreoretinal Surgical) Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital, Melbourne
- Fellow – (Cataract and Primary Care) Moorfields Eye Hospital, London
Dr Mantell’s training & experience
Nick finished his Ophthalmology training in 1999, then spent three further years working at prestigious eye clinics in London, Melbourne, and Manchester, before returning to Auckland. He has also gained a Refractive Diploma from The University of Sydney.
Since returning to Auckland, Dr Mantells career has been shaped by a number of important roles in both the private and public health care sectors in New Zealand and abroad. He worked as an Ophthalmology Surgeon at Green Lane Hospital for many years, where he trained House Surgeons, Registrars and Fellows. His expertise has also been recognised by the University of Auckland Medical School, where he held a post of Clinical Senior Lecturer in Ophthalmology. Nick is also known for his work providing ongoing education to optometrists and eye specialists around the country.
Dr Mantell is an expert in:
- iLASIK laser eye vision surgery
A specialist in LASIK vision correction, and a certified iLASIK surgeon offering tailored treatments to deliver the best vision possible for each individual patient. He is honored to be a part of the Eye Institute group, where surgeons strive for excellence in terms of both technology and expertise. "Eye Institute invests in the most up to date technology. If it makes iLASIK treatment better, we get it," explains Nick.
- Refractive Cataract
Dr Mantell is one of the busiest cataract surgeons in Auckland. As part of his post graduate training he completed a 1 year cataract fellowship and Moorfields Eye Hospital in London. Moorfields is regarded as one of the most prestigious Eye Hospitals in the world. Dr Mantell operates predominately in private but also performs cataract surgery on public patients in South Auckland. He is a trustee of the Fred Hollows foundation which provides cataract surgery to patients in the Pacific, Timor, and Papua New Guinea. He has also pioneered the use of refractive laser surgery to fine tune the refractive outcomes of cataract surgery.
Dr Mantell is also an expert in Lensectomy, a procedure that replaces the natural lens of the eye with an Intraocular Lens (IOL) and can correct nearsightedness, farsightedness and astigmatism.
Bioptics is a relatively new concept that is achieving remarkable outcomes. It involves using a combination of surgical vision correction techniques in which the refractive error of the eye is treated on both the lenticular and corneal optical planes.
Dr Mantell’s family & personal interests
Dr Mantell loves spending time with his wife Michele, and his three dogs who he describes as the masters of their home.
Nick's patients are also surprised to learn he was a Junior All Black, and a former front-rower for Auckland and Waikato Provincial Rugby some time ago. His ultimate moment was winning the Ranfurly Shield with Waikato! He is also an avid outdoors man; in the weekends you'll find him walking the dogs, paddle boarding or training for his next mountain bike race. "Being fit and healthy is a necessary part of the territory," explains Nick.
Make an appointment with Dr Nick Mantell
Please fill in the form below to book your free, no obligation laser eye treatment assessment with Dr Mantell. Or phone us directly on 0800 33 20 20 to speak with Megan, Nick's Refractive Coordinator to discuss any questions you might have.
- Monday to Friday – 9.00am to 5.00pm
- Saturday mornings – by request only
I believe that every individual is unique and so are their eye care needs. Laser eye surgery is always changing and advancing. I strive to be at the forefront of these advances only so you get the very best in restored vision. Needless to say, my pride rests in your complete satisfaction.
My personal guarantees to you are:
- We will remain committed to providing the latest ideas and technology on iLASIK available internationally through continued education and a pursuit of professionalism and expertise.
- My team and I will go through an extensive consultation with you before I even consider laser surgery.
- Where options such as intraocular vision correction lenses are available, all alternatives, pros and cons will be weighed up and explained in detail.
- There are no obligations at all and I will not recommend laser surgery if it is not going to be beneficial to you.
- Each procedure – from the type of surgery to the surgery itself - is customised to suit your needs and your needs only.
- I take pride in my work and perform all surgeries myself.
- My team and I will always be available to address your pre-surgical concerns and questions and post-surgical follow-up care.
- My passion in my work comes from wanting to give you back your vision the way you were meant to have it.
Our Promise to You:
We are committed to provide the highest quality level of care for our patients, using premiere advanced technologies and performed by a team of highly skilled, compassionate and thoroughly professional staff.
We remain committed to providing the very latest techniques in vision recovery and eye care through continued education, on-going training and investment in the very latest technologies to remain at the forefront of the industry.
Mantell Team Service Promise
Dr Nick Mantell and his team of eye care professionals will always apply ourselves to perform with excellence in all aspects of our work. We will display compassion for our clients, a professional attitude to our team members, and act with dignity and respect towards all those in our profession. We will earn the respect of our peers and patients by ensuring we apply ourselves daily with the outmost in professionalism, and wish to be appreciated as the forefront providers of technological advancements in eye care by pioneering ophthalmological applications in New Zealand.
We will transform our patients' lifestyles by fundamentally transforming the way they see the world.
Laser Assessment Terms and Conditions:
Patients are eligible for the initial free laser assessment on condition that they have no history of previous eye surgery (including previous laser surgery).
The initial free laser assessment is only available to patients whom are seeking laser vision correction and is not applicable to any other treatment type.