How to use Eye Drops
Using eye drops does not need to be a daunting task. Here are some simple steps to follow:
- Wash hands.
- Tilt head back and look at ceiling.
- Gently pull the lower eyelid down until it forms a small pocket, or pouch.
- Squeeze the bottom of the upturned dropper to release a SINGLE drop into the eye. If you think that you have missed, another drop may be used. (Take care not to touch the eye, or eyelid with the nozzle of the bottle)
- Release the lower lid and gently close eyelid for 30 seconds (do NOT sqeeze lids closed). Dab excess with tissue.
- If more than one type of eyedrop is prescribed, it is best to wait for 3-5 minutes between the different drops to allow maximal effect from each drop. Then wash hands.
Further eye drop information
- In order to keep the eyedrops clean:
- do not allow the nozzle to touch the eye or anything else,
- do not allow other people to use your eyedrops,
- replace the cap of the eyedrops immediately after use
- discard the eyedrops four weeks after first opening. If treatment is to be continued, keep using the drops until you have arranged a new supply.